This online Brazilian Portuguese course includes four lessons:
LESSON 1: GREETINGS
- The most common, formal and informal, greetings in Brazil.
- How to reply to greetings.
- Tips on how to pronounce them correctly every time, so you can really impress your Brazilian friends!
- Introduction to the Portuguese grammatical gender (how to know when a word is ‘feminine’ or ‘masculine’!).
- When to use bem (well) and bom (good).
- How to say ‘thank you’ – and the difference between obrigado and obrigada.
LESSON 2: ASKING HOW SOMEONE IS (PART 1)
- How to say how you are and ask how someone is using the verb estar (to be).
- How to shorten the verb estar when pronouncing it to sound more fluent.
- Difference between the verbs estar and ser (the two Portuguese verbs for ‘to be’).
- Words to describe how you are.
LESSON 3: SUBJECT PRONOUNS
- How to master the subject pronouns – which ones to pay attention to and which ones to ignore!
- The very important a gente, which is not really an official subject pronoun but functions like one, and it’s extremely common among Brazilians!
LESSON 4: ASKING HOW SOMEONE IS (PART 2)
- Saying how are and asking how someone is using the verb ir (to go).
- All lessons have downloadable notes with further explanations about the subjects.
- Students can ask any questions about what is being covered in each lesson, using the comments box, at the bottom of the lesson’s page.
- If you have any general questions about the course please use the comments box at the bottom of this page.